"The fairies only left Orkney when folk stopped seekin' them" - Anonymous Orcadian
"Never be afraid to seek" - Ally

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Born To Rock...

Dec. 20th, 1957 - Stephen William Bragg, aka Billy Bragg, singer & songwriter, is born...

Yes, I've had this video on before, but it was more than 2 years ago, so it's time for another airing... "Sexuality"...


This couldn't have come at a better time, because yesterday our tinpot local radio station played "A New England" by Kirsty MacColl, and this led to a "discussion" between boss, flunky and me over the relative merits of Kirsty's cover version against Billy's original...

I lost, since I was the only one who said that they preferred the original (incidentally, I couldn't find a video of the original, just live performances).

And does anyone remember the song he did for Childline (backed by the TV programme "That's Life")? It was a cover of The Beatles' "She's Leaving Home" featuring Cara Tivey, and was the flip side of Wet, Wet, Wet's cover of "With A Little Help From My Friends"... I always preferred Billy's song.




(Incidentally, I hope these clips are playing okay for you, because my internet is playing silly buggers and is running really sloooooooooow... meaning it's taken me the best part of an hour to complete this post).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No contest!

Kirsty has it!