"The fairies only left Orkney when folk stopped seekin' them" - Anonymous Orcadian
"Never be afraid to seek" - Ally

Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Lobster Carnage

Having a flatmate who works for a local shellfish producer (who just so happens to supply crab and all to the likes of Marks & Spencer ("This is not just any crab...")) has its uses sometimes (especially if, like me (but unlike Viki, which means even more for me), you like crab)...

Like today... when she texted me to inform me that the staff were being offered cheap lobsters and she had bought one... a whole lobster... for - wait for it - £2!!!!

I've never tried lobster before, and neither had she, so we decided we would take it down to my brother... and he could help us get into the thing, and let us know if there were any bits that were poisonous and shouldn't be eaten...

So, after work, he came and got us, and we went by Tesco to get some smoked mackeral (coz the lobster wasn't big enough between 3), and some nice crusty bread... and then down to his for a feast...

Viki had a taste of the claw and tail, but decided it was too much like crab... I had a bit more of the claw and half the tail, and decided that lobster is like most other shellfish for me (I like the good bits, like the claws, but any bits that look like stomach or organs or (as this lobster had) eggs (yeuch!) I will not touch)... and my brother happily got wired into the brown, mushy stuff and the afore-mentioned eggs...

So, here's Nippy before...


and after...

No comments: